About Valerie Rogers
Salmon Arm Artist Valerie Rogers
My first distinct memory is of a caterpillar on leaf. Most of my memories include whatever bugs, birds, fish or animals that surrounded whatever was else going on. The intense awareness of living creatures has always have been a part of me…my life….my happiness….I need that connection.
As a wildlife painter I am so elated to discover many people feel just the same. That they too are connected at the very centre of their being to nature, to the wild world and the creatures it contains. EarthMates…those living creatures that live with us side by side on this awesome planet. Somehow painting them and bringing them inside affirms that feeling of unity. It brings nature in close to us, banishes the distance that our modern life can impose and confirms that all of nature is linked to all of us.
I am a Canadian artist and horse lover living in the interior of British Columbia, surrounded by the natural beauty of the region. The mountains circling my studio are full of the wildlife to paint. Hiking and horseback riding in those mountains gives me the chance to get really close to my inspiration.
Some recent awards include:
- AcrylicWorks 6, Best of Acrylic Art Artist 2019
- Ducks Unlimited Canadian National Portfolio Artist 2018
- BC Wildlife Federation Artist of the Year 2016
- GOABC Artist of the Year 2014
- Silver Finalist BC Wildlife Federation Artist of the Year 2013, 2014, 2015
- People Choice Award 2012 Shuswap Lake Festival
- Silver Finalist Trout Unlimited Canada 2012
- John Edgar Patterson Award 2010
- BC Wildlife Federation Artist of the Year 2008
International Artist Magazine featured 8 pages of her artwork and creative process. She exhibits regularly in the Okanagan and Shuswap. She is a Signature member of Artists for Conservation Society, an active member of the Federation of Canadian Artists, International Guild of Realism, Society of Canadian Artists and the Shuswap District Arts Council. Her paintings are in collections around the world.